Saturday, November 10, 2007

mom's christmas socks (finally)

I'm only about 6 inches into the first sock, but even that gives me a sense of relief. I spent days trying to work out which pattern to use, casting on and frogging in wretched defeat. I started with the simple yet cute Charade socks. I wasn't enjoying the twisted ribbing, which doomed the sock. Then, I began the lovely, cabled Naïve socks. These were going well until I started to bring the small cables together into the larger ones that make up most of the sock, but my yarn was not really showing off the small cables to best advantage. Onward, I thought, to the Sprung Socks. Pretty, yet restrained, I thought. I quickly got sick of working the plain foot in the toe-up construction.







Sunk deep in sock-induced ennui, a magical email arrived. My library request for Interweave Knits' Favorite Socks was unexpectedly filled, giving me a chance to try Jennifer Appleby's Uptown Boot Socks, which I first saw on Grumperina's blog. Yes, these are cabled, but it's an allover cable pattern that twists only in one direction. Very easy. Also, the classic construction won't present too much of a challenge while holiday deadlines are looming. I'm actively working on some other gift projects right now too. I'll get to those later.

No comments: